Pages

Thursday 4 July 2013

Happy 4th of July!

Today is Independence Day and I almost missed it!  I was looking at the calendar this morning to see what the date would be next Wednesday when I saw the date today and couldn't believe it had snuck up on me.  I have many happy memories and stories from the 4th of July but hardly any photos as my mom didn't own a camera.

Here I am when we lived in Montana.  I am standing in front of my Grandma and Aunt's coffee house after the parade.
Me!
 And a few photos from the parade we just watched.  We lived in a small town :)

We lived in a town on the railway line
More of the parade
When we moved back to Australia Mom and Grandma continued to celebrate with us each year.  Grandma would round up a few stray Americans and have them over and we would eat yummy American food.  One year the local Consulate put on a huge picnic.  We went and ate hotdogs and they had brought over Root Beer and Dr Pepper!  There were clowns, stilts and big parachutes to play with, along with live music and all sorts of other entertainment.  We had so much fun and the Root Beer was definitely a highlight of my brother's and my day as we missed that!  It was cold and rainy and nothing like celebrating in summer.  It is a shame that they can't do that anymore for security reasons.

When we eventually bought a house the The LOML and I would have all of our friends around for a big (winter) BBQ.  I would make tamale pie, ribs, chilli and apple pies to go with all of our other favourties.  It was always a hit and I still have a few friends who send me a message every year on the 4th of July.

Once we moved to Ireland we didn't celebrate it with as many people but we still had a yummy dinner all by ourselves with sparklers.  In 2008 we were in Florida for the 4th of July and we were treated to two fireworks shows.  Disney Hollywood Studios do a special fireworks performance each year just for Independence Day and that year it was on the 3rd.  We then went to the Magic Kingdom for their special fireworks on the 4th of July (it actually runs for a whole week in that park).  I would have liked to have gone up to my Grandpa's and seen their parade and had a picnic but the kids really wanted to see the fireworks and at the time I thought we would get another chance a few years later (little did I know just how much life would change!).

Special Fireworks at Disney Hollywood Studios
I love the flag projected onto the castle.  Red, white, and blue featured quite prominently in the fireworks :) (Gee, I wonder why? LOL)

Magic Kingdom 4th July
This year we are having a family dinner with just us.  It is nice that my kids get into the spirit of it just for me.  I love them so much!

Wherever you are in the world, even if you aren't celebrating, I hope you have a wonderful day with your family.  We were at work and the boys were at school but it really isn't the day that matters, but the family you spend time with.

Happy 4th of July my friends!

Chipper

3 comments:

  1. 4th July here means donuts. We always have donuts.

    I love that top photo: it's so evocative

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chipper,
    What a wonderful post today. I love the first photograph so much. And all the stories are fantastic.
    Rinda

    ReplyDelete
  3. the 4th July is our wedding anniversary and a date that my husband remembers...without fail. I wonder why :) You certainly have moved around and lived in a few wonderful countries x great photos x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to brighten my day :-)
Due to spam I have had to stop comments from Anonymous users. I apologise if this causes you any difficulty.